I grew up in Long Island, NY, began painting at age 16, studied from the model, studied figurative and mural design at The Art Students League in Manhattan. I've traveled throughout the US painting murals and selling clothing and shoes at renaissance festivals. I painted during the week, and painted murals on my off seasons. In 2000, I decided to give up the lifestyle of a gypsy and I settled down in the rural town of Magnolia, Mississippi; My neighbors all do the renaissance festivals, so we have a little community here. I've been able to trade my art to start building my own home. It continues to be a work in progress--you can see pics of my house on my website, www.lorfelix.com by clicking on the 'Gallery' tab, "The story of Lori."
November 2014 Featured Fellow Artist
I have totally outgrown my studio as I continue to design and create new pieces. I've always loved painting Goddesses and nudes by incorporating the female form with the textures of nature such as the Sun Goddess, Moon Goddess, Yoni Goddess, & Tree Goddesses, and now I design some of these goddesses out of laser-cut wood (which I love). Also, I'm continuing with my oil paintings. Oils are my favorite medium.
Recently, I've begun to create mixed media collages where I use lots of recycled materials--fabrics, trims, organic materials, papers, and sand textures.
Can you share some of the process that goes into these Goddess pieces?
I begin with an original oil painting on the goddess shape cut from wood, which can take weeks to finish, then I will photograph the piece, print it out to fit on a laser-cut piece of wood and embellish with paint. Next, I assemble and adorn the goddess base with all sorts of beautiful fabrics, trims, yarns & jewels. This is how I can make works of art available at more affordable prices.
In addition, I am currently working on paintings of each different chakra. I begin by painting an original in oil on an 8.5" diameter piece of wood, then photograph the original, make prints and mount them onto the Lotus plaques I design.
I can't wait till I have time to get back to painting more. That is my true love. I would say 85% of my time goes to production work and selling, the other 15% is actual painting.
What revelations have you experienced as an artist?
What I have discovered about myself? Hmmm...I am very meticulous, I love details and I'm a perfectionist. I love finding the sensuality in nature--a lot of my work is very sensual. I love painting the goddess and nudes, incorporated with nature. I believe that we are all made up of the same matter, we are all connected.
Who are your mentors and how have they influenced your style?
When I first began painting, my biggest influence was Salvadore Dali and Max Ernst, I loved the Surrealist painters. I would copy Dali paintings in my basement. On the feminine side I like, Georgia O'Keefe, Judy Chicago and Frida Khalo
I have always had my own unique style, incorporating organic textures into my figures and using lots of rich vibrant colors.
Thank you so much, Lori! It's been an honor to be able to peek into your creative mind & soul.
I urge you to check out Lori Felix's store on Etsy, she has tons of great gift ideas for the upcoming holidays!
What else do you spend time on besides art?
What I enjoy doing other then art, I love working on creative projects on my house, I am involved with a Buddhist retreat center where I live and go often to retreats, I like listening to inspirational books while I work, some of my favorite teachings are from Caroline Myss, Jack Kornfield, and a lot of the Buddhist teachings, I get a lot of my inspirations from these books.